Friday, October 15, 2010

Billionaire

Travie McCoy's "Billionaire" was playing in a shop I walked into today and it made me wonder who the richest man in the world was at this time, so when I came home I looked it up- it turns out that Carlos Slim Helu, a Mexican business man, holds that #1 position. He controls 'more than 90 percent of Mexico's fixed phone lines'.

In reading up about the man I came across multiple quotes about him saying that the best way to fight poverty is through the creation of jobs. A piece on The Economic Times, which tells about Helu not being as charitable as other world billionaires, at least not in the sense of directly giving large sums of money to charities, and saying that 'the best investment we can make is to fight poverty' and that the best way to go about it is by creating jobs. There were many comments about him saying that this is just a way to excuse his greediness and continuous accumulation of wealth. I don't know if that is true, but I do agree with Helu in that the best way to fight poverty is through the creation of jobs. This reminds me of the quote that goes, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." It would be great if he truly did commit to creating good jobs for the people of the developing nation.


Billionaire song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRor905cCw



http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international-business/Jobs-not-charity-will-end-poverty-Carlos-Slim/articleshow/6745965.cms

No comments:

Post a Comment